Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 75

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  14:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

PK9 has inadvertantly nearly duplicated my review of Star Wars ep. III "Clone Troopers deep-sixty-six Jedi"

http://www.fwfr.com/user.asp?id=2523

Fixed.

Go to Top of Page

zulu 
"Resisting the Bay lobotomy"

UK

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  14:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This feels a bit like telling tales, but...

Zulu: 'Jane: An Abortion Service' - "Jane is 'Womb Raider'."

Sean: 'Vera Drake' - "Vera Drake: Womb Raider."

Great gag Sean, but I did it first I still voted for yours though.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  15:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zulu

I tend to let these slide- it's hard enough to say one person copied another (I realise this probably isn't what you're implying, though) on the same film- the justification for declining similar reviews here is that it's more obviously repetitive when you have repeats in such close proximity. But on separate films it's pretty much impossible to say one inspired the other and, more relevantly to the site, I don't feel it detracts any (well, not as apparently anyway).
Go to Top of Page

zulu 

UK

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  16:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

I tend to let these slide- it's hard enough to say one person copied another (I realise this probably isn't what you're implying, though) on the same film- the justification for declining similar reviews here is that it's more obviously repetitive when you have repeats in such close proximity. But on separate films it's pretty much impossible to say one inspired the other and, more relevantly to the site, I don't feel it detracts any (well, not as apparently anyway).

I think this position is fair. The site should be more about fun than rigid enforcement of rules. As you say, I certainly was not accusing Sean of copying...but perhaps I could cream off the top 25% of his votes for the Vera Drake review? What is the policy on the same person employing similar puns on different film?
cheers, Z

Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  19:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

I think this position is fair. The site should be more about fun than rigid enforcement of rules. As you say, I certainly was not accusing Sean of copying...but perhaps I could cream off the top 25% of his votes for the Vera Drake review? What is the policy on the same person employing similar puns on different film?
cheers, Z

Er.....in September of '04 he wrote:

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?sort=1&id=7252&Mode=&Rows=100&Start=1&do=

Nothing new under the sun. I tend to agree with benj. Until someone else comes out of the woodwork I'll take credit for the original pun (votes would be nice, too)

Edited by - lemmycaution on 23/05/2005 20:00:00
Go to Top of Page

Animal Mutha 
"Who would've thunk it?"

London, UK

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  20:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realise this isn't entirely in the spirit of this thread but I just thought I'd mention it. I've just been looking at everyone's FYC's and noticed foxboy's review for Peter Pan. I submited the very same review last week, the only difference being the hyphen. Like foxboy, I too was quite proud of it and was disappointed that it wasn't approved. I even resubmitted it with an explanation and was turned down again. Bugger!

Go to Top of Page

zulu 

UK

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  23:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Lemmy got there first, so far as we know...

How about I pass on Sean's 25% and throw in 25% of my Womb Raider votes aswell?

At least we are all doing good puns...even if they are the same.
Z

Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  01:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

To my horror I found I'd already voted for yours, Zulu, but had no conscious memory of it. Anyway, mine won't get too many more votes (if any at all) as I've given it to my good friend Alan Smithee.

I agree with benj, there's not much wrong with having the same gag on more than one movie, and I do think it's good for the site as the gag has more chance of being seen. Although I do think the first reviewer to write it should have more votes, and in this case lemmy is definitely vote-starved (got mine now). Also, if lemmy were to FYCTH his reveiw now it wouldn't be likely to pick up as many votes as it's now an old gag. Just keep it in mind, click lemmy's above link and do what you all know is necessary.

Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  01:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexMuth

I realise this isn't entirely in the spirit of this thread but I just thought I'd mention it. I've just been looking at everyone's FYC's and noticed foxboy's review for Peter Pan. I submited the very same review last week, the only difference being the hyphen. Like foxboy, I too was quite proud of it and was disappointed that it wasn't approved. I even resubmitted it with an explanation and was turned down again. Bugger!

That's the reason for it being declined then, as it was a repeat of foxy's February review. Incidentally the longer you hang around fwfr, the more you'll have this happen. It's happened to me a few times, ie, I've submitted a review only to see the same review appear shortly before mine, so mine is declined as a repeat. Or the review will appear while mine is pending and I'll have to delete mine from the pending pile. Eg, Cheese_Ed submitted "An American in Paris" for 1 Night in Paris a few hours before I did. Also, I was rather proud of "Brat out of Hell" pending for The Omen, only to see the same review appear for another movie while mine was pending, so I got rid of it, and lo and behold, the same review had been on the site for months for a third movie.

Happens all the time, to everyone.

Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  01:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

quote:

That's the reason for it being declined then, as it was a repeat of foxy's February review. Incidentally the longer you hang around fwfr, the more you'll have this happen. It's happened to me a few times, ie, I've submitted a review only to see the same review appear shortly before mine, so mine is declined as a repeat. Or the review will appear while mine is pending and I'll have to delete mine from the pending pile. Eg, Cheese_Ed submitted "An American in Paris" for 1 Night in Paris a few hours before I did. Also, I was rather proud of "Brat out of Hell" pending for The Omen, only to see the same review appear for another movie while mine was pending, so I got rid of it, and lo and behold, the same review had been on the site for months for a third movie.

AMEN

Go to Top of Page

zulu 

UK

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  12:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

quote:

quote:

AMEN

I was just going to say that!

Go to Top of Page

zulu 

UK

Posted - 24/05/2005 :  12:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To my horror I found I'd already voted for yours, Zulu, but had no conscious memory of it.

Sean, NEVER be sorry that you have voted for one of my reviews! You might find it theraputic to keep on doing it; I would prescribe a 2 week course of voting for my reviews three times daily. If you are not fully cured of your horror please come back to Dr.Zulu for a repeat prescription.

Go to Top of Page

Animal Mutha 
"Who would've thunk it?"

London, UK

Posted - 29/05/2005 :  15:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed Will Sloan's review for 'Army of Darkness' and when checking out what other people had posted noticed davedavedave's review. The only difference being the 'The'. It's the name the film was released under in Britain.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/05/2005 :  15:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just noticed Will Sloan's review for 'Army of Darkness' and when checking out what other people had posted noticed davedavedave's review. The only difference being the 'The'. It's the name the film was released under in Britain.

Fixed.

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 30/05/2005 :  02:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just voted for Turducken's "Be-Deviled Egg", but then noticed that noncentz wrote the same review for the same film.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 75 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000