New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Airbolt 
"teil mann, teil maschine"

somewhere

Posted - 21/07/2014 :  13:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An occasional post rather than keep opening new topics.

HAUNDAE 2009

One of the reasons to look at foreign movies is to realise that some things do not travel! Take this Korean Disaster film fr'instance. It's a cut and paste plot - Holiday Beach, various characters bicker and fall in love, scientist warnings all ignored, Huge Destruction with Tsunami.

It's the tone that is odd. Imagine a Disaster Movie in Hollywood style - you have all the above ingredients with a few "comedy" characters but mainly arrow straight in tone.

In Korea it's a little different. The movie starts off in a broad comedy style which even Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy might hesitate at. Essentially everyone yells at each other. Then the second Korean ingredient gets added. Melodrama! Absent father/scientist realises he should have been there for his kid ( a moppet, naturally! ). His ex is a bit of a hard case tho.

Fine. The melodrama takes over until the Tsunami hits ( Cheaply, I might add ). Then it's back to Comedy ! ie a container ship explodes and flings containers onto a Bridge. A comedy loudmouth dances around avoiding them. Imagine the last 20 minutes of any Hollywood Disaster film with slapstick inserted !

Coming from a country where they still insert sound effects when someone fat sits down, I suppose its not surprising!

Edited by - Airbolt on 21/07/2014 13:41:22

Airbolt 
"teil mann, teil maschine"

somewhere

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  11:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The American ( 2010 )

With DVD's you get to flick thro all the crap at the beginning ( trailers, ads, Butterkist Butterkist Rara....that kind of thing.

So I womdered why this particular car commercial was going on so long. It was all very artfully shot with lingering shots of Italian scenery. The car was a bit rubbish tho and why was George Clooney having coffee in a greasy dive? Surely George has his Nexpresso in one of those upmarket places with the ciabatta?

Then it dawned on me. This was supposed to be the main feature. Gorgeous George is fresh out of Pile Cream to judge by his expression. He appears to be a Hitman who is moonlighting for the Italian Tourist Agency. Sundry characters swim into view, an Emma Peel type, a tart with a heart of Gold and a priest played with thick slices of Prosciutto.

George mulls a lot while assembling the Johnny 7...oops...Ruger Assasin Rifle Mark 1. He thinks that with that steely hairstyle and trapped-wind expression he oughta have got the part of Parker instead of Jason Statham.

It alls ends with tears naturally. George finds that the car biz is not for him and constantly need to take a whizz after all that coffee.

Edited by - Airbolt on 10/08/2014 11:17:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000