New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 15/01/2015 :  20:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are my reactions to this year's Oscar nominations (I'm only commenting on categories where I have a strong and informed opinion):

Best Picture
What Should Win: Boyhood
What Shouldn't Have Been Nominated: The Grand Budapest Hotel
What Was Snubbed: The Lego Movie

Best Supporting Actress
What Should Win: Emma Stone, Birdman
What Shouldn't Have Been Nominated: Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
What Was Snubbed: Viola Davis, Get On Up

Best Director
What Should Win: Alejandro G. Inarritu, Birdman
What Shouldn't Have Been Nominated: Morton Tyldum, The Imitation Game
What Was Snubbed: Rob Marshall, Into the Woods

Best Animated Feature
What Should Win: Big Hero 6
What Shouldn't Have Been Nominated: The Boxtrolls
What Was Snubbed: The Lego Movie

Best Cinematography
What Should Win: Birdman
What Was Snubbed: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Best Film Editing
What Should Win: Boyhood
What Shouldn't Have Been Nominated: The Imitation Game
What Was Snubbed: Nightcrawler

Best Score
What Should Win: Theory of Everything
What Was Snubbed: Birdman

Best Production Design
What Should Win: Interstellar
What Shouldn't Have Been Nominated: Into the Woods
What Was Snubbed: Maleficent

Best Visual Effects
What Should Win: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
What Shouldn't Have Been Nominated: Guardians of the Galaxy
What Was Snubbed: Edge of Tomorrow

Best Adapted Screenplay
What Should Win: The Theory of Everything
What Was Snubbed: Gone Girl

Best Original Screenplay
What Should Win: Nightcrawler
What Was Snubbed: Begin Again

So, where does that lead us? The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Imitation Game are both fine films, but both will be forgotten within 1 year except by the mega-fans of Wes Anderson and aficionados of LGBT-themed cinema. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was among the most complex films of the year in terms of both theme and production values, and yet it only got one award nomination. On the other hand, I'm glad to see the level of respect Birdman is receiving.

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 16/01/2015 :  01:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting that you didn't enjoy "Grand Budapest Hotel" - I think it's probably Anderson's best to date and will have a long life as one of the best, most entertaining films of this decade. "Imitation Game" for me feels a bit like "Dallas Buyers Club" last year - a superb central performance encased inside a very mediocre movie. "Dawn of the PotA" was fine until it went all 'apes-riding-horseback-shooting-machine-guns-through-a-slow-mo-fireball' at which point it felt like any other action CGI fest. For my money "Rise" was a much more thoughful and impactful film, perhaps because it was such a surprise when it came out that it was actually great and not trash. "Boyhood" and "Birdman" will hopefully do well.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 16/01/2015 :  21:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Interesting that you didn't enjoy "Grand Budapest Hotel" - I think it's probably Anderson's best to date and will have a long life as one of the best, most entertaining films of this decade.

I did like Grand Budapest Hotel and was very entertained by it. The production design was the star of the movie (and got a well-deserved Academy Award nomination). The look of the film will stick in my memory much longer than anything else about it. Aside from hard core Anderson fans, would anybody care to watch the film for a second time? For a plot so complex, did the film have very much to say in terms of theme? Were there any characters with whom you could identify? Will the film stand the test of time? These are the standards that must be met for a film to be considered a classic.

Edited by - GHcool on 16/01/2015 21:42:57
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 18/01/2015 :  01:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

quote:

Interesting that you didn't enjoy "Grand Budapest Hotel" - I think it's probably Anderson's best to date and will have a long life as one of the best, most entertaining films of this decade.

I did like Grand Budapest Hotel and was very entertained by it. The production design was the star of the movie (and got a well-deserved Academy Award nomination). The look of the film will stick in my memory much longer than anything else about it. Aside from hard core Anderson fans, would anybody care to watch the film for a second time? For a plot so complex, did the film have very much to say in terms of theme? Were there any characters with whom you could identify? Will the film stand the test of time? These are the standards that must be met for a film to be considered a classic.

The answer to all of the above is yes, for me, for its sheer entertainment value and Ralph Fiennes performance, which makes it rewatchable. I didn't think the plot was that complicated - not more than many films that use multiple framing devices. I think it's a unique vision, beautifully realised. I can't wait to watch it again, but I'm a fan you're right.

The flip side to this- you obviously rated The Lego Movie very highly. I saw it this week and liked it, found it charming and funny, but not a film for the ages and some way off a potential Best Film nomination (though the animated film nomination snub is admittedly bizarre.)
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 19/01/2015 :  07:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

quote:

The answer to all of the above is yes, for me, for its sheer entertainment value and Ralph Fiennes performance, which makes it rewatchable. I didn't think the plot was that complicated - not more than many films that use multiple framing devices. I think it's a unique vision, beautifully realised. I can't wait to watch it again, but I'm a fan you're right.

Any time a movie touches someone as much as Grand Budapest clearly touched you, it makes me a happy filmmaker. It is a wonderful movie and I don't want to downplay that fact. Lego worked better for me, Budapest worked better for you. We live in a wonderful world in which both films are available. :)

Are you a mega-Anderson fan? I think I've seen all of his films once each. I like them for the most part, but have never fallen head over heals in love with any of them or with his unique style.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  18:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if I'd self-classify as a mega-fan - I've found my reaction to his output has varied film to film. Aside from GBH my favourite is definitely "The Life Aquatic" which delighted me from start to finish, followed by "The Royal Tenenbaums". The rest ranges from solid to unimpressed - for example "Moonrise Kingdom" didn't work for me because children acting like adults isn't as funny as adults acting like children, which is one thing Anderson does so well. "Darjeeling Limited" tried a little too hard too be profound, I'm not sure what "Fantastic Mr. Fox" was, other than not Roald Dahl. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000