Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to my fwfr
Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 Film Related
 General
 Does Anyone Know Someone at NetFlix or Amazon?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  18:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ask because both film streaming services apparently are buying anything that can even loosely be called a "movie." Have you looked at the list of absolute shit they have available? Even worse, try watching some of it. So I'm looking to get on this gravy train before it stops rolling.

Almost all film streaming services have a feature that suggests additional films, usually based on some algorithm associated with films you've already watched on the service -- the "suggested" hole. If you happen to be in a B-movie type genre, the films in the hole get really dismal and fairly quickly. On Amazon, the films sometimes look and sound literally like they were shot on someone's phone camera. Literally. If you haven't seen this, just find a B-movie film about black people and follow the trail down the hole; the crap starts floating up quickly. I don't even want to name titles: honestly, I don't have to -- just click on almost anything. HOWEVER, I will give Amazon credit for the production values they put into the promo posters and, sometimes, the titles. Clearly, this is where the money goes, because it certainly doesn't go into the films themselves.

But when it comes to NetFlix, there seems to be an almost inverse corollary: they appear to buy films with high-quality production, though they are equally inane. Have you seen The Package (2018) -- right: yeah, I'm not talking about the 1989 Gene Hackman thriller, the 2012 Dolph Lundgren masterpiece ... right? ... or the 2005 thriller short of the same name. The 2018 vehicle is a post high school kid romp where three guys go camping -- a trip that gets crashed by a couple of girls. Obviously, there's an unresolved love interest between one of the boy-girl pairings. Quickly, the film takes a pivotal turn as the stoner side-kickish character of the band cuts off his own penis by accident while goofing around with a knife and his own stream of piss. The remaining members of the crew then experience a series of hi-jinx while they try to get the severed penis to the hospital so it can be reattached.

Like I said: does anyone know a person at Amazon or NetFlix?

Edited by - MguyX on 21/08/2018 18:59:12

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 23/08/2018 :  18:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manure bins need manure.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 26/08/2018 :  09:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hoes got ta eat too!"
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  21:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, X amount of original content backed by tons of um "indy."

You can get a range of not so new stuff for free on Crackle and Pluto - both have Apple TV apps, not sure about other platforms. With Amazon's considerable fee hike for Prime this year, I hope they'll bring in a lot more newer, fresher titles.

Still, I also think the algorithm derailed you as you sought less mainstream content. And now I'm worried because two days ago I played the Blair Witch Project (oh noooooo!!!!). I wonder if leaving bad reviews could help get us away from the flotsam & jetsam.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000