Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 28/03/2010 :  07:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened when I tried to add a film. It added it successfully immediately afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  01:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

This happened when I tried to add a film. It added it successfully immediately afterwards.

Can you let me know the film you were adding?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  01:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

Can you let me know the film you were adding?

It's the film immediately after it in the new-films list, so I guess number 37279.

I had a similar case today (a blank page appearing with () instead of the title and bracketed year), but this one did not appear in the new-films list.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  23:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benj, have you deleted a lot of entries lately? It's just that my 'Films added' total is now 3,703 and I'm virtually certain it was over 4,000 a week or two ago. (I was surprised that it had got that high.)

Having said that, while I might I have added a few things you have later decided are not films, I'd be amazed if it were anything like in the hundreds. Any other ideas for my drop in total?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  01:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hhmmm, have you deleted a huge number of Shakespeare adaptations for some reason? I added all the ones that weren't already here, as I felt that they should be. However, there are now only 405 here compared to 788 on the I.M.D.B., the latter only including a small number of T.V. episodes (which I didn't add) and I.M.D.B. Pro entries (for which his credit won't yet transfer here).

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  01:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Benj, have you deleted a lot of entries lately? It's just that my 'Films added' total is now 3,703 and I'm virtually certain it was over 4,000 a week or two ago. (I was surprised that it had got that high.)

Yep- we've been getting a bit tougher on non-films across the site.

Whilst we're on the subject, in the interests of reducing the number of films on the site without any reviews, I'm planning to modify the film adding process so a review is required before a film can be added.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  02:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

we've been getting a bit tougher on non-films across the site.

Are you using the royal "we" now?

I excluded all the ones which were part of T.V. series. All the ones I added were straightforwardly films, and conformed to any parameters of a film that you have ever mentioned. It would be fairer to make all your parameters public, therefore, to save people's time.

The new rule will make accolades very difficult to create properly, even those that even the supreme accolade whinger does not object to (e.g. ones based on one actor's body of work) although I'd rather see the end of 'All films containing the word drum' &c. Will the rule be for a review to be just submitted or actually approved? I wouldn't mind adding films with filler reviews that I can delete later, but I can't waste my quota since the MERPs like to reject my reviews once or twice before accepting them. I'd therefore only be able to add films when I were over quota and could let the reviews be auto-rejected.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  02:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to tidy up the site, then acting on reported reviews would do a lot more good, since they actually have a negative effect rather than just being empty.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  20:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Whilst we're on the subject, in the interests of reducing the number of films on the site without any reviews, I'm planning to modify the film adding process so a review is required before a film can be added.

Interesting. That should certainly help in terms of cutting back some of the random film pages that no one ever looks at or ever add reviews to which seems to be added just for the sake of bulking up an accolade that no one will try to complete.... but I wonder if the new rule also apply to major/mainstream releases or just the rare, random and weird stuff? It probably won't hurt for future major releases to be added prior to a review being submitted given that plenty of reviews will be added for it when it does get released - I often add forthcoming big films of the year but don't always have a good review ready to go.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  22:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

quote:

.... but I wonder if the new rule also apply to major/mainstream releases or just the rare, random and weird stuff? It probably won't hurt for future major releases to be added prior to a review being submitted given that plenty of reviews will be added for it when it does get released - I often add forthcoming big films of the year but don't always have a good review ready to go.

An easy way around that would be to write a 'simple' review and give it to our friend Alan. It would use up one review from the weekly quota though.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  22:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

we've been getting a bit tougher on non-films across the site.

Are you using the royal "we" now?

How dare you disrespect your royalty? They've clearly been referring to their MERPs all these years!
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  23:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be a bit of work, so would only be worth considering if a lot of films are going to be deleted from now on...

It would be really helpful if accolade creators could get an automated message if a film from one of their accolades is deleted. I've just discovered that the recent deletions have created a lot of holes in one of my accolades, but I easily might not have noticed that for ages.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  11:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

... but I wonder if the new rule also apply to major/mainstream releases or just the rare, random and weird stuff?

It'll have to be everything as it's difficult to define for a computer what is or isn't a major release.

quote:

It probably won't hurt for future major releases to be added prior to a review being submitted given that plenty of reviews will be added for it when it does get released - I often add forthcoming big films of the year but don't always have a good review ready to go.

Will have to think about this. Maybe films alone could be added by select trusted users or all films added without review would have to be approved by me before they went live.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  03:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't led me add this. It's for an accolade (though it won't be able to auto-add to it for now).

Talking of that subject (i.e. I.M.D.B. Pro cast lists not being available), this will be a real nuisance under the new system. At the moment, I often resubmit films that have recently entered the normal I.M.D.B. or which I otherwise think have been updated there. It currently doesn't matter whether they are already here or not. Under the new system, that would presumably fail if they weren't. Even if it would still work if they were already here, it would likely become too much of a hassle to resubmit them just in case.

Resubmitting a film is also a convenient way of finding it here if one is already on its page on the I.M.D.B.

And on the matter of blocked entries, please could there be a page saying "Sorry, that entry has already been excluded from F.W.F.R." (or similar) instead of the current sort of non-page that one gets?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  13:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I'm sure you know Benj, I've just had a couple of 'Not a film' rejections for forthcoming films (i.e. ones which will unambiguously be films if they come to exist, which they very likely will).

Once the films are re-added, will I be credited with having added them (not very important but I would prefer it) and will I be able to resubmit my reviews so that they retain their chronological position (much more important)?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000