Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  03:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made this thread for those who want to take a public guess as to the number of their own reviews that will make it into the book. There will be roughly 2000 reviews in the book and there are 305,000 reviews on the site. So approximately 1 in 150 will make it.

Given what we know about the choice of movies used for the book (an emphasis on well-known and/or recent movies, with a few more from pre-1924), I just had an objective look through my first page and saw a few that might make the cut, even though most of mine are for movies that aren't likely to be used (Avenging Disco Vampires, Nude Law Enforcement etc).

Anyway, my guess is six of my reviews are gonna make it, pretty close to my pro-rata figure (7).

Who's next?

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  07:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although my pro-rata figure comes out to almost 24, my guess is I'll probably only get two of mine will be there, but if I got more, I'd be thrilled.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 31/01/2010 08:53:08
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  10:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pro-rata: 9 or 10
Happy with: Any, but 3 or more would be good.
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  13:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta guess 4, don't I?
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  15:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Legal is another aspect that we considered.

Is the person still on the site? Will they log in and agree to the NEW legal terms?: This is bad news for one of my favorite reviews "Tense, intense. In tents." for Blair Witch Project because Ardball hasn't been on the site for years. Benj sent him an e-mail (but who knows if that e-mail account is still good?), and Aardball has yet to agree to the new legal terms. So it's very likely the review won't appear in the book. We also haven't heard from Pudking (Icy Dead People) and we're still waiting to hear from reviewers Paddy C and Kolo. Fortunately, most of the main reviewers have logged in and agreed to the new terms (including noncentz, who hasn't been on the site for five years).

When compiling the book, I was avoiding reviews from Krugerbait -- they were brilliant, but I didn't think we'd get persmission. Fortunately, Krugerbait has agreed to the new terms. But if we new that from from the moment we started compiling the book, Krugerbait would have had more reviews included. There's quite a few reviewers like Krugerbait who I was surprised to get legal permission from.

So the good news is that if you were active in the Fourum, it greatly improved your odds of getting in the book (because Benj and I knew you would support the book and could get your legal permission).

In fact, I can't think of any active fourum member who doesn't have atleast ONE review in the FIRST DRAFT of the book. The format is four reviews for each movie, and we've provided 5 to 8 reviews for editors to pick from. I'm really hoping everyone will have at least one review in the book when it hits the stands.

Go to Top of Page

aahaa, muahaha 
"Optimistic altruist, incurable romantic"

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  16:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be easier to guess the number of your reviews making it if you think in terms of the chapters.

ACTION, COMEDIES, DRAMA/CRITICAL DARLINGS, SCI-FI, FANTASY, HORROR, MAFIA, CLASSIC FILMS, ANIMATION, GREAT REVIEWS OF MOVIES YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF AND PROBABLY WILL NEVER SEE

I'm guessing 2 in animation (Kung Fu Panda, The Incredibles) and 1 in obscure. I don't really think I've a chance in other chapters unless sequels such as Spider-man 3 and Die hard 4.0 make it to the book.
Go to Top of Page

Falken 
"Intestinal Fourtitude."

Ottawa, Canada

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  18:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zero.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  18:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yukon

In fact, I can't think of any active fourum member who doesn't have atleast ONE review in the FIRST DRAFT of the book. ..... I'm really hoping everyone will have at least one review in the book when it hits the stands.

Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  18:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I review so many older, obscure films that I'll be lucky if I get two in.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  19:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang on, I thought I'd agreed with Benj that all of my reviews were going in the book? So that leaves about 300 reviews for you guys to argue over...

But seriously, I don't have a clue - but I'll be delighted with any. Holding that book is going to be sweet regardless of my contribution... I'm proud of all of your work, my fellow fourumites.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  19:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet one's in.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  20:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

I'll be delighted with any. Holding that book is going to be sweet regardless of my contribution... I'm proud of all of your work, my fellow fourumites.

Nicely said.
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Little Rock

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  21:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fortunately, most of the main reviewers have logged in and agreed to the new terms (including noncentz, who hasn't been on the site for five years).

Hurrah!! Noncentz's reviews could almost be their own book. Thanks again for the work.

Will be happy to see the book when its out regardless of how many of mine are included.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see modesty is preventing people from overshooting. Another prediction: users will have more reviews in the book than their guesses.

quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

Gotta guess 4, don't I?

It's a shame Chatterbox and Monsturd aren't likely to be in the book or you'd have a few more.

quote:

When compiling the book, I was avoiding reviews from Krugerbait -- they were brilliant, but I didn't think we'd get permission. Fortunately, Krugerbait has agreed to the new terms. But if we knew that from from the moment we started compiling the book, Krugerbait would have had more reviews included.

That's a shame, as I'd have guessed with 99.9% certainty that he'd be easily contactable (by email or through his website) and would log in and agree. He was very much an active fwfrer and fourumite in the 2004-2005 era (before your time I think, he used to go by the name of Joss) and still pops in occasionally to say Hi.

But yeah, that is a shame about Aardball's review, I love that one.

Edited by - Sean on 31/01/2010 22:18:25
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  23:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be happy with 10, ok may be 2.

Happy New Year to everyone, this is my first time back this year.
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  23:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be happy with a couple.

Yukon benj are the reviewers going to be listed with the reviews. If that is the case it may well restructure the all time top 100. unless those reviews are in the book of course

to be fair I don't care I've ordered my copy and will be ordering more as christmas presents.

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000