benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  16:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 12Babe

Uhm ... which 2 Nov did you mean?

Point taken

Okay, here's the thing... as usual I had a last minute idea about a change to the design, which I'm currently rushing to add in. I didn't want to put something live and then radically change it all a few days later. I'm the happiest I've ever felt about the new look now and plan to go live sometime this weekend (touch wood).
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  18:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Okay, here's the thing... as usual I had a last minute idea about a change to the design, which I'm currently rushing to add in. I didn't want to put something live and then radically change it all a few days later. I'm the happiest I've ever felt about the new look now and plan to go live sometime this weekend (touch wood).

Am touching all the wood I can ... Can't wait, benj!!

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Touch wood? Thats new to me. Here in the states we just knock on wood.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  22:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, firstly apologies for my long absence from the site- I've been just banging away solidly at the new site for the last couple of months trying to get it to a place I'm really happy with it.

Well, I'm proud to say I'm finally there- a lot has changed since even when it was last meant to be going live (start of November I believe), let alone from the current site so you'll probably be a little shocked when you pop onto it. There's still a few odds and sods to tidy up and add in but, to the best of my knowledge, it's all fully functional.

Give it a spin at http://www.fwxr.com now whilst I settle on a date to make it officially live at fwfr.com...
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  02:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right, firstly apologies for my long absence from the site- I've been just banging away solidly at the new site for the last couple of months trying to get it to a place I'm really happy with it.

Well, I'm proud to say I'm finally there- a lot has changed since even when it was last meant to be going live (start of November I believe), let alone from the current site so you'll probably be a little shocked when you pop onto it. There's still a few odds and sods to tidy up and add in but, to the best of my knowledge, it's all fully functional.

Give it a spin at http://www.fwxr.com now whilst I settle on a date to make it officially live at fwfr.com...

I like the rosettes and layering of them.

OK obviously the things that stand out are the things I can't see or find in particular a view like this (from Advanced Search on the current (old) site), I've listed all movies I've scored (meaning I've seen them all):-

http://www.fwfr.com/search.asp?do=s&search=&Mode=Search&genreid=&aid=&StYear=&EnYear=&AccID=&Sort=1&dir=&Rows=20

How does one list stuff like:-
a) all movies on the site
b) all movies on the site I've scored
etc.

I found these features useful as I use fwfr as my reference for whether I've seen a movie or not (IMDb is approaching that stage but I've got a few hundred movies to go before they're in sync).

Otherwise it looks pretty slick.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  10:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly - benj it is GREAT!! I can't believe how much time you've dedicated to this. The inter-relational bits alone must have taken ages. And you've integrated the new look and functionality brilliantly.

Yes, it does take a bit of getting used to - and I must admit I haven't totally explored all the various facets. i.e. it took me a while to realize I needed to double-click a review to vote for it. Maybe the FAQs could be upgraded to add a "how the site works" category.

The only aesthetic niggle I've got is the fwfr book promo quotes are in white, which is very hard to read - both on FF. Google Chrome and IE9. The white headers are outlined in black, so easier to read, but the book review quotes themselves - just white.

I'll report back if I notice anything else, but I think you should officially LAUNCH IT ALREADY!

WELL DONE BENJ!

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  10:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Yes, it does take a bit of getting used to - and I must admit I haven't totally explored all the various facets. i.e. it took me a while to realize I needed to double-click a review to vote for it. Maybe the FAQs could be upgraded to add a "how the site works" category.

Yes, I'm considering changing this (but not to any extent that will hold up putting the site LIVE live in any way). The reason it's currently a double click is because when I first explained the page-drag navigation method someone said something like "Please make sure you can't vote with just one click on a review" presumably for fear of accidentally voting when trying to scroll to the next page. However, this is an issue I've since managed to code around- you don't accidentally score films by dragging on them for example- so I'm thinking of making it a more obvious single click, probably a thumbs up icon that appears when you hover over an unvoted review.

quote:

The only aesthetic niggle I've got is the fwfr book promo quotes are in white, which is very hard to read - both on FF. Google Chrome and IE9. The white headers are outlined in black, so easier to read, but the book review quotes themselves - just white.

Fair point. I don't see it on my development laptop (funny colour reproduction on that and all) which is almost exclusively where I've worked on the new site (this is now my go-to excuse for any criticism of any colours I've used for anything ever). I'll give it a jiggle over the coming days
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  00:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the neat new color, I'm about to bring up the third rail of FWFR: Status levels.

As someone who climbed out of the muck and is up near the top, and proudly dragging along nearly a thousand zero-vote reviews, I suggest reordering the status levels just slightly.

KEEP:
Movie goer
Up to 9 reviews (presently 9609 users)

Movie fan
Up to 49 reviews (presently 685 users)
(Unlocks a secret page explaining how FWFR came to be.)

Movie buff
Up to 99 reviews (presently 121 users)
(Unlocks a secret page listing the evolution of FWFR.)

Movie guru
Up to 199 reviews (presently 99 users)
(Unlocks the ability to create your own stat Fourmulas.)

Movie mogul
Up to 499 reviews (presently 73 users)
(Unlocks a secret rating to even further slate a horrendous film.)

Now it's starting to get tough. After 500 approvals you are probably a crazy person. It definitely feels like you'll never survive to 1000.

Movie star
Up to 999 reviews (presently 40 users)
(Unlocks a secret rating to even further praise a worthy film.)

The next 44 who have entered four digit territory are in a never ending marathon/nightmare cycle. As one of the dirty dozen (which is to say, I'm #12), I feel okay to say this from memory: Going from 999 to 1999 was (too) excruciating.

I would suggest tightening the ranges lower down and leaving the big numbers. 1500 or 1750 for Movie Oracle, and 2500 for Deity. Okay for big jumps after that, but maybe lower Bronze to 5K to put in reach of a few more users - just to be transparent, I'd gain something there but I'm not too attached to doing it that way.

Movie oracle - change to 1500 or 1750?
Up to 1999 reviews (presently 44 users)

Movie deity - change to 2500?
Up to 3999 reviews (presently 17 users)

Movie deity (Bronze) - change to 4999?*
Up to 5999 reviews (presently 12 users)
*conflict of interest

Movie deity (Silver) - leave @ 9999
Up to 9999 reviews (presently 4 users)

Movie deity (Gold)
Over 10000 reviews (presently 4 users)

Add Movie deity (Platinum) - ????? reviews... 15K, 17.5K or 20K. I'm ready to worship Randall as a Platinum deity, but where do you go from there?
Go to Top of Page

clay 
"Viewer discretion is revised."

Phoenix, AZ, USA

Posted - 21/01/2012 :  19:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You missed some.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 21/01/2012 :  23:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clay

quote:

You missed some.

[or maybe it was the wrong kind of wood!!] I'm sure benj has his reasons.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  11:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New site arriving Monday...
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  13:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Monday!
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  14:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

New site arriving Monday...

Fool us once shame on us. Fool us twice.........

Which Monday???

Edited by - TitanPa on 24/02/2012 14:16:09
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  14:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hah! I guess I deserve that :)

This Monday- day after Oscars 2012 Monday.

Of course, the whole thing may die as soon as I switch over and I have to switch back but there's only one way to find out...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000